When you use Revit to open (import) an IFC file, Revit creates a new model using the default template. When you open or link an IFC file, Revit creates a new model using the first template listed under File Locations in the Revit Options dialog.
How does IFC work in Revit?
Link an IFC File
- (Optional) Before linking an IFC file, click File tab Open (IFC Options) and use the Import IFC Options dialog to do the following: …
- Open the Revit model.
- Click Insert tab Link panel (Link IFC).
- In the Open IFC File dialog, navigate to the IFC file, select it, and click Open.
Can you edit an IFC file in Revit?
But there is a way to achieve IFC editing (to some extend), with our favorite tool, aka Revit. … Link there the IFC files you want to merge. It will create new files, with the *. ifc.
How do you explode an IFC file in Revit?
Exploding Imported Geometry
- Select the import symbol.
- Click Modify |
tab Import Instance panel Explode drop-down (Partial Explode) or (Full Explode).
How do I use IFC files?
Open an IFC File
- (Optional) Before opening an IFC file, use the Import IFC Options dialog to do the following: …
- Click File tab Open (IFC).
- In the Open IFC File dialog, navigate to the IFC file to import, and select it. …
- (Optional) If you do not want elements to join automatically, clear Auto-Join Elements.
How do I read an IFC file?
IFC files can be opened with Autodesk’s Revit, Adobe Acrobat, FME Desktop, CYPECAD, SketchUp (with the IFC2SKP plug-in), or GRAPHISOFT’s ARCHICAD. See how to open the file in Revit if you need help using it with that program.
How do you rotate an IFC model in Revit?
Click Modify tab Modify panel (Rotate). Select the elements to rotate, Press Enter. If desired, the center of rotation might be changed.
How do I merge two IFC files?
- Export active. After activating the objects that you want to merge in the IFC structure tree, press Export active.
- Export visible. All objects of the loaded files visible in the application window will be merged.
- Export selected. Selected items of loaded files can be exported as a new common IFC file.
Can you edit an IFC file?
Editing IFC model properties
Here’s a typical workflow: click on the “Edit IFC” command on the toolbar, then “Edit” and select the entity or entities to be modified. select the entities and identify the relating properties to change. select “Edit” in the “Properties” toolbar.
How do I reduce the size of an IFC file?
Before you start an IFC import, check your settings. For optimum performance, only enable what is relevant for your project. Settings to consider; import as meshes, ignore BIM data, etc. This can massively reduce IFC file sizes and ensure speedy import times!
How do I create an IFC file in Revit?
Export a Revit model to IFC
- In Revit’s ribbon, click File tab > Export > IFC.
- In the Export IFC dialog, for File name, click Browse, and navigate to the target folder for the IFC file.
- For Current selected setup, select the IFC setup to use to create the file and click Modify setup.
What is a BIM IFC file?
An IFC file is a model file created in the Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) format, which is an open file format used by Building Information Modeling (BIM) programs. It contains a model of a building or facility, including spatial elements, materials, and shapes.
How do I open IFC files in Revit 2021?
Click File tab Open (IFC). In the Open IFC File dialog, navigate to the IFC file to import, and select it. If needed, for Files of type, specify the type of file to open: ifc, ifcXML, or ifcZIP.